Thursday, October 8, 2009

Another year older....


Wiser? Eh, not so much....

So yesterday was my birthday.

I don't like my birthday.

I stopped liking my birthday after I turned 21.

But that's not to say that I haven't been happy with how the day's been celebrated in recent years.

Last night I had an amazing dinner with my family at Foreign Cinema, complete with Rosemary's Baby playing on a big screen in the courtyard.

Getting ready for bed after this amazing meal somehow triggered a curious and unexpected nostalgia for my birthday in Missouri.

Nostalgia for my birthday in Missouri. Words I never thought I would write.

But my 27th birthday marked one of my best memories of graduate school. It was the first of many in our 7-girl house. It was semi-formal.

It was the beginning of a series of insane cakes custom baked for each roommate's birthday.

There were amazing decorations and appetizers.

There was champagne.

There were photos taken with people I hardly knew who would go on to become good friends.

And there was a keg stand in my black dress that my roommates still won't let me live down.

There was a party the next year also. You can't expect people to dress in semi-formal attire two years in a row, but it was a great time--with an unbelievable and very very thoughtful pumpkin shaped, pumpkin flavored cake that would make Betty Crocker jealous. Lord knows I loves me some pumpkin.


Thank you to everyone who made those birthdays so special.

I do miss my life there.

Though I did just see flash flood warnings are plaguing central Missouri today. They're seeing a potential 9 inches of rain.

I suppose that helps a bit...

2 comments:

  1. Loved your birthday. Loved it, and will remember it. Y.O.D

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww...Andy, I missed you on your birthday! It's amazing that life in Missouri has come and gone. GREAT memories. We absolutely need to keep the 30th birthday promises to eachother. :)

    ReplyDelete