Monday, October 5, 2009

I will write about public relations...

...because that is ultimately what I want to do with my life.

Ah, Wisconsin. I read this and loved it. Whether you have a healthy appreciation of the Badger State (go Pack go!) or can't point America's Dairyland out on a US map, it's funny. And it's an interesting look at a public relations decision.

Here's the story:

The Wisconsin Tourism Federation (yes, WTF) quietly changed their name to the Tourism Federation of Wisconsin (TFW), according to the AP.

WTF has been around since 1979, before I was born and way way before people who say "wtf" were born. But rather than just laughing about it and chalking it up to victimhood of modern-day acronym omnipresence, WTF backed down.

Some people say that this was a huge mistake--that embracing WTF could help rake in the tourism dollars.

Picture it: one minute someone is typing "wtf" into Google to learn to talk with his kids in modern slang, and the next he's planning a lovely trip to lovely Sturgeon Beach, WI, with stops at the Maritime Museum and a chilly jaunt on a rented snowmobile. Everyone wins!

One blogger said, "What I fail to understand is why people who wear cheese on their heads at football games are this sensitive about being called WTF.”

If it were up to me, I would have capitalized on it. It's a ballsy move, but it seems that so much success these days is the direct result of ballsy moves.

I suppose you gotta give the Midwest props for being wholesome. You betcha!

1 comment:

  1. That's right we are wholesome! Don't want people getting the wrong idea about us ya know

    ReplyDelete