Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Places to sleep

Today's post is not necessarily about wedding planning, but it is about my cheapness, which is, let's face it, an unfortunate bi-product of wedding planning.

Today's post is about how it seems I'll sacrifice rest, sanitation, and the respect of the man I'm going to marry...

All to save a buck.

This sounds dramatic, and perhaps it is, but bear with me while I tell the story.

We're so fortunate to work for a wonderful company that provides us with many perks--a good medical and dental plan, free language classes, and cheap hotel rooms! It's a frugal bride's dream!

As avid skiers, we often take the 4-hour drive up to the mountains of Lake Tahoe to ski. Here we are:


We usually stay here:


But this time, our super special associate (read: cheap) rate wasn't available.

This time, we stayed here:



It' s the Alpine Inn & Spa, and it'll set you back $35/night.

But it's not really a spa. Not in the traditional sense of the word, anyway. Unless you're one of the few who consider an above ground jacuzzi surrounded by caution tape a spa, you'll be disappointed.

It kept us warm from the cold, but unfortunately that's the end of its accolades. It was loud and uncomfortable, and Rob made me wear flip flops when I took a shower.

It was also very evident by the condition of the lock that our door been previously kicked in, perhaps by a tenant that was frusterated by the "spa" nomenclature.

It only took a couple of runs on the hill the next day to feel how little sleep we had actually gotten. For now, I'm assuming and praying that Rob's fears of any shower-born illness are just an overreaction.

I'm hoping (and Rob even more) that this was my low point, that maybe this was my "aha" moment that will turn this cheapness thing around.

Yeah, maybe so.

I'm going up again with weekend with some girlfriends, and we're staying here:



See? I'm getting better already.

No comments:

Post a Comment