Tuesday, March 1, 2011

I'm going to be a bride!

The love of my life asked me to marry him.

Sometimes I wonder why. Most of the time, I'm just in awe that the crazy road I've been walking brought me to him.

The hardest part is over. I met a man who I love and who loves me back and has decided for better or for worse to be with me forever.

But there's just one thing.

It turns out I'm not so good at wedding planning.

My mother can't believe she raised such a frugal daughter.

She thinks I may need therapy to deal with aforementioned frugality.

But here I am, planning our wedding, therapy free (mostly because it's too expensive.)

Welcome to my ride.

2 comments:

  1. I CAN HEEEEELLLLP! I was exactly where you are one year ago :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best wedding advice we received was to pick on one aspect of the wedding (e.g. food, dance, venue, gifts, clothes, photography, etc.) to focus (read "splurge") on and just get the rest done. The wedding industry is all too happy to help you get very elaborate on every aspect of your wedding, which is the road to crazy (much less broke).

    At our wedding we splurged on food. No dance floor, no DJ, no professional flower arrangements on every table, etc. What happened is that various family members pitched in their expertise (your mom did beautiful flower arrangements, our dads manned the grill at the pre-party, etc.), which turned out to be more personal and meaningful than writing large checks. Of course, having it at the Beach House did give us more flexibility, but I think the principle holds true regardless.

    Normally the advice is intended to help wedding planners to stay sane and control costs, but in this case it might help you splurge in a specific and special way.

    ReplyDelete