Thursday, March 17, 2011

Bridal Fairs


Has anyone ever been to one?

Rob and I went to our first one this Sunday (he wasn't supposed to go, but in an unfortunate turn of events, he got the pleasure of being one in four men in a sea of aggressive brides-to-be.)

We don't like bridal fairs.

We felt like the vendors were sharks and we were guppies in the middle awaiting attack and there was no escape.

They make you fill out these forms to win a free honeymoon to Paris and a free wedding registry and a free washer/dryer set and your hand starts to cramp up from writing your email address one too many times.

I ate more than one pastry that I had to spit out (vegan cookies will not touch the lips of my wedding guests.)

And in my opinion, bridal fairs are fairly unnecessary unless you are starting completely from scratch. If you have an idea of what you want and vendors somewhat picked out, bridal fairs are a nightmare because they just confuse you and make you question any decision you've made.

And you see things like this:

And you think it's an amazing idea (possibly fueled by the free champagne they give you). And then you go home and show the brochure to your mom and she throws it back into your face and tells you you're ridiculous.

(Not that this has ever happened to me. I'm just sayin'...)


Also, I love this: 5 Tips for Guys on Surviving a Bridal Show

I love how they say that he shouldn't be hung over but he should be drinking (I know Rob was very thankful for his free champagne offering.)

2 comments:

  1. Other sage advice we got from wise friends is to avoid anything with "Wedding" in the title -- it tends to be taken as a license to skimp on quality and triple prices. For instance, you don't need Wedding Invitations, you need Invitations. You don't need Wedding Flowers, you need Flowers. It's best to frequent business that have return business and most of the wedding industry only has to sell it to you once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been to wedding shows, mostly for the free food and cake. I used fake names and addresses on the sign in sheet, set a fake date (usually December 2012, the end of world according to the Mayans.) One show gift bag included 2 free movie tickets! score!

    Good to hear that butter won't be excluded from the festivities.

    ReplyDelete