Monday, November 2, 2009

Roughin' it, college style

On our way home from the airport in Boston the other day, I saw a set of stunning new high rise condos overlooking the Charles River. Or at least what I thought were condos.

They were not. They were the new dorms at Boston University--the "skycenter of the BUniverse."

These are them:


This is their view:



For comparative purposes, I thought I'd share with you the cinder block-laden architecture of my college dorm.



And my view:



Now, I can't quite figure out why I feel resentment rather than excitement for these very lucky young people who will never again be impressed by any building they ever live in again, ever.

Maybe I'm just getting old and cynical, jaded by my recent foray into apartment searching in downtown San Francisco.

Sadly, the $13,000/year price tag on the BU dorms is really an amazing deal by San Francisco standards.

I was impressed and surprised by this, and when I turned on the Today Show this morning, it seemed their producers were impressed as well. The BU dorms and some other new dorms from Purdue won their own segment on this morning's show.

Ah, college.

In the words of one mother moving her child into aforementioned luxury, "Life is tough. I'm going back to college. If there's a martini bar, I'm staying."

4 comments:

  1. what a crock. i lived in a 12'x 12' cinderblock with a window that didn't even open all the way my freshman year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We might of had old cinder block dorms but at least we could smell the ocean and walk to the beach under 5mins. Not to bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. True on both counts.

    Total crock.

    And yes, I forgot to mention that my dorm was a stone's throw from the Pacific Ocean. Details details.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are hilarious! my dorm was the site of beaux arts fairs from the 70's where the art institute kids would mess around with professors thereafter forever banning teachers from the dorms. yep. and why didn't we "stay?" ...there was totally a martini bar on the top of our refridgerator!

    ReplyDelete