Sunday, August 16, 2009

Twitter-ific.

Just a few short weeks ago, Twitter experienced an outage.
And people freaked out.

From my own personal ivory tower (i.e. the couch or a lawn chair, depending on the time of day), I laughed reading people's stories of panic and anger, disbelief and frustration.

I'm here to say now that I would now genuinely be frustrated and angry (though hopefully stop short of panic) if Twitter were gone tomorrow.

I love it. And while it does cut into time for other activities such as reading newspapers, talking to people, going outside, and maintaining general personal hygiene, I believe now as I did when I started this blog, that it is a fantastic tool for learning from people who know a lot about your city, your career, and your interests.

Recent data shows that 40 percent of tweets are useless--standard "I'm eating cheerios for breakfast" or "I wish it weren't raining" talk.

But that other marvelous 60 percent?

I'll keep comin' back for it.

And this is why:

*The other day I learned that a local restaurant in San Francisco has bottomless Bloody Marys on Sundays. Bottomless Bloody Marys!!!

*I learned that I should never write, "From the desk of Andrea Stark" in a cover letter. Ever.

*I learned that Tom DeLay is going on Dancing with the Stars.


And yesterday I learned about these:


A sweet virtual social media business card from Card.ly. Tons of social networks to chose from and so easy to use.

Tougher to hand out in bars or insert into raffle drawings, sure.
But they say, "I'm tech savvy." "I'm young and hip." And "I no longer kill tress for networking purposes."

No comments:

Post a Comment