Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Interviewing 101



It's been a while since I've been in an interview (that was not with a source for a story).

I've never actually been in a truly formal interview setting.

I've never had to wear a suit.

Short of defending my master's thesis, I've never been impossibly, irreconcilably, "can't sleep, can't eat, baking muffins like a crazy woman" nervous in an interview-like setting.

(Note: for my master's thesis defense, I was all of these things. There was not enough counter space in the kitchen for all of that lemon-blueberry goodness.)

I'm a pretty personable person. I like being around people, and I've been told this shows in my demeanor. But I have a feeling that a corporate job in the city is a whole new bag of worms.

So as long as I have the time, I might as well prepare for the inevitable by looking at potential questions and researching tips from other job seekers or recruiters.

Then I get to shop for a suit.

I came across these interview tips on Twitter today, and I thought I'd share them. They're simple, but important to keep in mind if and when I get the opportunity to interview (the tips say nothing about baked goods, though I'm sure I'll change that. Raspberry scones, anyone?)

1. Don't be a smiley face. This is simple: smile when smiling is appropriate, but not all the time.

I could have trouble with this one. I naturally smile a lot. When I'm nervous and when I'm not, I just do.

2. Don't be a small talker.

Another one I'll have to work on a bit. I worked for a business weekly in college. The night before my interview I was at a Steve Miller Band concert. My boss was unsure of who Steve Miller was. I sang "Joker" to him. Somehow still got the job.

3. Don't sweat. It looks bad, and will make you look nervous.

Note to self: layer, layer, layer.

4. Don't be petty: ask important questions, not superficial ones.

I can handle this one--I'm a hyper researcher for anything, so I'm sure I'll have plenty of good questions (even though I'll probably already know the answers).

5. Don't be a liar.

I never embelish my accomplishments because I'm afraid I won't be able to back it up.
And because lying is bad.


6. Don't be a bad comedian.

Sometimes this is hard for me, but I like to think I keep it subtle and appropriate, short of my aformentioned singing incident (don't say joker, smoker, or midnight toker in any interview-like setting.)


7. Don't be high maintenance.

Nobody likes a complainer. I don't care how lukewarm their coffee is.


8. Don't be a time waster. Ask good questions, not lame ones for the sake of asking them.

God bless the world wide web and its awesome information superhighway. With this tool, all of your questions should be remotely insightful.

9. Don't be a swtichblade. Never talk bad about old employers.

I see this as being a fine line. Employers may want someone who has opinions about previous work. Just keep it appropriate. No calling your old boss a loser or any derivative thereof.

10. Don't be a roadblock. Be open to challenges.

I've filed enough papers, made enough travel reservations, picked up enough cakes for office parties. I'm rearing for a challenge. Bring em on!

2 comments:

  1. First impressions definitely do count. Walk in confidently, give them a solid handshake, and work that smile (though not too much, as you say).

    Find the common thread and work it. At the last place I interviewed, I was on my fourth round of interviews and speaking with one of the higher ups in the company. He had noticed on my resume that I was a runner. We spent the next 30 minutes talking about how he could improve on his 5k time. Some of these people have done so many interviews, I think they just want to have a conversation and see how you respond.

    A great way to wrap up an interview, I think, is to ask them what they're looking for in an ideal employee. End it by explaining how you fit into that description. Or, ask them if they see you fitting in.

    Be prepared for questions like: Describe a situation that presented some adversity, but that you feel you handled well? Give us an example of a situation that you feel you should have handled differently? What are the best and worst qualities you would bring to this job? The negative ones are always the hardest, as you have to show how you've learned. One way to answer that puts you into a positive light is to describe how a situation wasn't handled well because of a potentially good quality you have. For example, you are a hard worker and took on too much, but have since learned to delegate.

    P.S. I love your blog.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.P.S sorry, that was a freaking long comment.

    ReplyDelete