Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Some thoughts on Twitter




I'll admit that, like most of the world, I was a bit reluctant to join Twitter.

I assumed it was just one more thing to keep me staring at this screen, rather than going outside, socializing with ACTUAL people, or (gasp!) getting some real live calorie-burning exercise.

Still, I'll admit when I'm wrong (it took me forever to join Facebook and now I can't live without the thing.)

I joined Twitter mostly because it's such an amazing tool for public relations and marketing. The only other thing I know for sure about Twitter is that I'll be behind the curve if I don't learn it.

I came across this link on Twitip which has some great tips on getting started with Twitter if you're a small business (written by Mark Hayward).

A small business I am not, but I am a beginner, and the tips are helpful to anyone looking to get their feet wet in the social media pool.

The tip I found most helpful:
19. Create connections don’t spam. You most likely would not just walk into a crowded venue where you don’t know anyone and say, “Hi my name is Bob and I replace window screens and have great prices.” This method does not work very well on Twitter. (Should be a given but you still see it every day!)

In my experience, this is SOOO true. It's obvious to people when you're to sell sell sell. The key, I think, is to join the conversation, network, etc. and eventually the product will sell itself.
Which leads to another great tip:

12. Use Twitter Search with keywords to find information and conversations that are relevant to your business. It’s also a good way to find out if anyone is talking about you or your company.

Finally, he says that it takes 3-6 months to create a following. This is so good to know. Don't get frustrated or overwhelmed, just keep contributing.

Check out all 20 tips, and the other tips that Twitip has to offer every day.

PS. Naked Pizza (above) is using social media in amazing ways. A friend in New Orleans turned me on to it--they're fun to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment