Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Stumblin' on through


As long as I'm on the subject of things that take up way too much of my time, I thought I'd share one more thing that I love.

That I spend time with.

That I spend way too much time with.

It's called StumbleUpon, and it's been around since 2001. I've had it since 2007, but I've recently rediscovered it. And now I don't know how I ever lived without it.

It's an Internet community that allows users to find and rate websites based on their interests (a choice of 500 topics.) A toolbar can be installed on your computer (below the address bar) that makes access super easy.

I like media and PR. I like fashion and all that it entails. I "stumble" and I find an independent jewelry maker. I "stumble" again and find an interpretation on the state of the news media by a distinguished Columbia professor.

It's like channel surfing! No remote to get lost in the couch cushions! Fantastic!

It's an outstanding way to learn the hidden corners of the Internet--to break out of your daily website visits and find sites you may love but would have never found on your own.

And it's an outstanding way to waste a lot of hours.

I justify it with the assertion that it's more productive than reality television.

Here are some cool things I found while stumbling my way into the wee hours last night:

360 degree views of the world's 7 wonders! From my couch! At 1 am!

The best funny t-shirt collection I've ever seen.

Evidence that Abe Lincoln invented the emoticon.

Apparently Wikipedia publishes in Banyumasan. Who knew?

I really could have used this in my 11th grade world history class.

I'm definitely a fan. Hopefully you will be too.

No comments:

Post a Comment