Saturday, December 5, 2009

Education and wine....


I've always been of the mindset that you should learn something new every day.

For instance, the other day at work I learned that Brentwood, CA, is actually not a town but a neighborhood made famous by OJ Simpson in the early 90s.

But today I learned about something even more fantastic.

There's a winery by my house where there's cheap wine. Really cheap wine. Good, cheap wine.

Great wine at an killer price ($4.99 a bottle!!!!!!) as long as you bring your own bottle. It's called Bottle & Cork Day, and you should be angry that there's no such thing in your neck of the woods.

The description of the event on the website is delightfully, if not a bit dissatisfyingly vague, "premium wine at a great price."

It's delicious. And I'm proud to report that it has earned the Stark family seal of approval, something that is coveted and quite rare when applied to inexpensive booze of any kind.

Needless to say, it was a good day.

I work tomorrow morning, and all I really wanted to do tonight was sit on my couch, drink wine, pet my dog, and watch college football followed by Christmas movies that will make me laugh and cry simultaneously.

Now I have the perfect excuse:

I drank a whole lot of wine earlier.

I'm not old and boring.I'm just an early bird, ahead of the curve, and in bed on time for work in the morning.

Nice and refreshed and ready to learn something new.

3 comments:

  1. another, among many reasons to come to SF. what a great find! somehow i don't think the vineyard moving into south boulder is going to quite get that fine wine seal of approval....but we shall wait and see...as a wise man once sang "eat drink and be merry"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your brain is a sponge, soaking up knowledge, with more capaciy than physical volume. It is resiliant, and following rest, ready to absorb lots more.
    Ah but the antibrain, spiritus fermenti. I know, trust me. I tested my brain vs. wine last night.
    That said, I'll be there with emptys next week. Red "to be announced".
    Thanks Andy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am extremely jealous of your local bottle and cork day place. I wish I had one near by. But free family wine from the boy isn't bad either. Next time I'm in SF we will have to go. I hope one of your Xmas movies was Love Actually because it is the best!! and remember if a white wine such as verdelho or semillon smells like cat piss it is a good wine:)

    ReplyDelete